Tuesday 5 February 2013

Loving Hands



 
When my girls were young I made lots of clothes for them – dresses, skirts, shorts, tops, pj’s, sweaters, cardigans, hats & mitts .....
And of course they got to an age when ‘shop bought’ was more desirable than  ‘mum made’. 
My sewing machine and knitting bag lay neglected for around 10 years, only seeing an occasional airing to help with a fancy dress costume or two!
Then one day a couple of years ago I found Loving Hands – quite by accident.
What an inspiration!
My needles, pins & hooks have never stopped since!!

 
Loving Hands was set up in 2007 by the founder (Lou Jaap). Her remarkable story can be found on the Loving Hands website and  is so worth reading!
The ethos behind Loving Hands is to bring together like minded crafters who band together to knit, crochet and sew for charities and groups from all over the world.
Members make everything from premature baby clothes, burial items for tiny babies who do not survive, knitted 'boobs' which are mostly used to teach breastfeeding in UK hospitals,  blankets, knee rugs and shoulder wraps for the elderly, hats for sailors, warm clothing for the homeless and for children living in freezing conditions , to animal nests & blankets, hen coats - even bags to save tiny puffins who have been blown off course! Our aid has gone all over the world.

Numbers are now fast approaching the 8000 mark with local groups all over the UK, and Loving Hands has featured in many magazines and newspapers.
Through belonging to this amazing group of loving, talented people many have found a reason to get up in the morning, a distraction from pain/long term illness/family problems, something to smile about and look forward to. Dozens of new friendships have been formed and projects have benefitted from the awesome power that is Loving Hands.

           Thank you Lou – you are a remarkable woman.
          Here are some of my contributions ~
Premature baby tops and hats - made and donated last year
 
premature baby tops - charity knitting

crochet baby hats - charity donation

sleeveless baby cardigans - charity knitting

baby hats - charity knitting

 

16 comments:

  1. It is amazing how many you have made!!! and for such a worth cause. That is the best way to use the yarn stash, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful collection of your donations Marianna and good to hear how much of a positive effect Loving Hands has had for you, and others.
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  3. They all are so beautiful. It's so inspiring seeing people crocheting for special causes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm trying to find the pattern for the sleeveless baby cardigans. I've looked on the Lovinghands site but I can't find it. Also I have your pattern for the baby tops but I don't think I have the preemie size.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marianna, these are wonderful. I am glad I found your site/blog as I am looking into doing some of these to The Samaritans and St James hospital in London.
    I am finding difficult to find a fitting pattern for these little ones for mainly hat and boots/socks. If you have any patterns that you trust and know that these services need , please do forward them to me as the ones i have found I find utterly inadequate and are more suitable for dolls than anything else.
    Also, which materials do they prefer? Cotton? Acrylic? I would really treasure your advise.
    Many thanks and carry on the good work.cc

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is exactly what I am looking for! I have so much yarn, and love to knit/crochet, but usually don't have a specific person in mind when creating something. My granddaughter was born premature and was rushed to CHOP in order to receive open heart surgery. It was touch and go for a little while, but luckily she has grown into an amazing little girl. We received so much love and support from charities and our community during this time and I would love to repay that kindness. Those little items made with love brought a little comfort to us during a chaotic and scary time.

    I too would love the patterns for the hats and sweaters if possible. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where can I get a copy of these patterns. I would like to share my mums passion of charity and use up her yarns...

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://mariannaslazydaisydays.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/topaz-premature-baby-cardi.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the cute little knitted preemie hats! I am a lifelong crocheter and I donated a bunch of crochet and loom knit preemie hats to our local Neonatal Intensive Care Unit last year.
    I just learned how to do regular knitting last month with 2 needles.
    How did you finish off the tops of the knitted hats in the photo? They are so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the cute little knitted preemie hats! I am a lifelong crocheter and I donated a bunch of crochet and loom knit preemie hats to our local Neonatal Intensive Care Unit last year.
    I just learned how to do regular knitting last month with 2 needles.
    How did you finish off the tops of the knitted hats in the photo? They are so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi. I have alot of respect to people that do things for charity. I love the work you have done here. Is there a chance you could tell me where I can find the patterns for the short sleeved cardigans. I knit blankets for charity and it would be great to knit a little cardigans to match the blankets. Please can you help me. Kind regards caz

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi. I have alot of respect to people that do things for charity. I love the work you have done here. Is there a chance you could tell me where I can find the patterns for the short sleeved cardigans. I knit blankets for charity and it would be great to knit a little cardigans to match the blankets. Please can you help me. Kind regards caz

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi. I have alot of respect to people that do things for charity. I love the work you have done here. Is there a chance you could tell me where I can find the patterns for the short sleeved cardigans. I knit blankets for charity and it would be great to knit a little cardigans to match the blankets. Please can you help me. Kind regards caz

    ReplyDelete
  14. Marianna,
    You have been added to my list of people who have inspired me in my journey with knitting. I finished my first infant sweater yesterday and if I say so myself, I'm proud of the outcome.I never envisioned myself moving away from my crochet hooks. Thank you for your generosity sharing your patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! What an awesome cause! God bless you and the work of your busy hands.

    ReplyDelete